Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder

My inspiration for writing the Outdoor Dads Blog comes from the rich outdoor experiences that I have shared with my own children (2,5 and 8 years old). I have attended or facilitated many trainings, retreats and conferences using the outdoors as a powerful learning environment. Before I had my own children, I spent fifteen years working with all sorts of people (corporate leaders, families, parents, foster children, city kids, country kids, gangs, and educators at all levels) in all sorts of outdoor environments. I have never seen, along with countless others, someone not benefit from an outdoor experience or the seeds it planted for the future.

I would like to pass on some of the things I have learned so that other parents will feel more inspired and confident to step out into the wilds (or nearby park) with their families. One of the best new books, supporting the importance of outdoors for children is Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv. What is great about Louv'sbook is that he pulls together a huge amount of research based evidence of the benefits of the outdoors and free play. I already consider my self an outdoor dad, but after reading Louv's book, I was extra motivated to make sure I was putting my time and money where I had been putting my mouth. If you are the type who is on the fence and thinks that TV and video games are an "O.K." substitute for outdoor play and that maybe it's just the new way kids play, then Louv is going to give you a wake up call. Its a must read for outdoor dads!

No comments:

Post a Comment